Time to try something new. I want to see if I can commit to write blog posts and keep some form of diary as I go about creating a blog on building a Vectrex emulator and maybe a game in the process. Usually I try to find out things on some topic and explore everything, but never get around to writing about it. I will try to do it the other way around. It’s an experiment, but it’s worth a shot.
Initial goal formulation:
Create a modern Vectrex emulator for the managed .NET platform
So, with that said, time to do some initial high-level planning (aka lying) and summarize some things that need to be done.
- Find general information on the Vectrex
- Find technical and developer information
- Find out what the technical components of the Vectrex are
- Understand the way the Vectrex works
- Understand the programming language for the CPU
- Understand the boot process
- Emulate CPU, memory and electronics for video
- Try to get visuals from the vector graphics
- Do the audio, controls and other hardware
- … (we’ll see where we stand when we get here)
To make this work I will try to brain dump instead of going for complete, error-free, correct, article-like writing. That means it will be a diary of progressing insights. You’ve been warned.
On with the experiment.